Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good days/bad days

There are days that are just plain "good days". In our case, it means everyone is healthy and reasonably happy. Bad days may mean physical or mental hurt.
Yesterday was a good day in that Kate, Tom and I had a great agility lesson and Hokey got to go since it was a non chemo week. We all had a blast - competing to see who could run each difficult sequence the best. I think we each had at least one "best". Baloo and Tom had incredible tight wraps on the jumps!
I then came home to find another personal insult/slam related to the writing organization I have been involved with. Nasty, denigrating and in this case demonstrating the lack of knowledge of the poster (who should have known better). This is basically a good person, a talented person, probably stressed. And I, sad to say, responded in kind. Some days though, you need to do that.
While I was in a funk, my son said a Fed Ex had arrived. I briefly wondered if you can get a subpoena in a Fed Ex envelope! Instead, it was a wonderful book that I had planned to order and it was signed with a wonderful inscription from the author who I respect very, very much! So my day turned around again.

Today has been a good day despite some bumps in the road. Kate and I had an obedience class and again Hokey was thrilled to attend.

I was then driving on to deliver my son's baritone saxophone for some repair work. Well, my husband's carefully written out directions and map happened to have the wrong main road! After getting about 15 miles out of our way, I had Kate call the store. They then gave us the wrong directions, so we went another 10 miles out of our way before I realized what had happened! We back tracked and finally found the store. Kate lugged in this huge instrument - literally the case could be a casket for a good sized child. Next surprise - while the store had complete records on the other instruments my kids have (alto sax, tenor sax, clarinet) there is NO record of us ever owning a bari sax. Luckily the store has a sense of good customer service and took the instrument for service while my husband digs out the paperwork at home tonight and faxes it to them. Kate and I had a good laugh or two along the way and our bad directions did lead us by an Arby's which she loves.
Hokey and Tia in the back of the car probably thought we were on one of our long road trips - heading out to a national specialty somewhere. Never a dull moment!
Deb E

from Hokey:
Yup, things are looking up!! I got to go to agility class AND obedience class this week. I was by far the star of the obedience class and I did quite well in the agility class too. I am a bit handicapped by having Deb as a handler but I try to make the best of things.

I don't really like Newfoundlands. I have never met one who was mean to me but they really might be bears and not dogs so I don't trust them. In obedience class we have one named Zoe. Deb says she is a very nice dog with a quirky sense of humor but I think that is all a ploy to get innocent victims close. Still, despite my misgivings I was good and did my out of sight stays next to her perfectly even when she got up and decided to stroll around. I must say, her owner is a very nice human so maybe Zoe is really a tame bear.

I need to go work on my New Year's Resolutions. Actually I think it would be more fun for me to write New Year's Resolutions for Deb. Like, Feed Hokey more, Buy Hokey a new toy each week, etc.
Hokey

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you and yours, Deb and Hokey! May 2010 be a year of new beginnings for us all.

    Love,
    Susan and Allie

    ReplyDelete