Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rough day for Tia

Tia is my daughter Kate's 6 yr old Australian Shepherd. Very cute, very clever. She has had a dry cough/gag on and off for a few weeks. We blamed the onset of indoor heating (forced hot air in an old farmhouse), eating pine needles while scavenging, etc. She looks fine and acts fine otherwise but we felt the coughing was increasing so in she went to the clinic yesterday for a workup.
For Tia, this meant blood drawing for a CBC, complete blood panel and heartworm test (she is on Interceptor but nothing is 100%). We also did a fecal, check x-rays and a tracheal wash. For the tracheal wash, sterile fluid is passed into the trachea, then drawn back to see what cells, etc are found. Cytology and a culture were sent out on the fluid. Cardiac problems can also cause a cough but Tia's heart seems fine.
Right now we are awaiting results on the blood work, cultures, etc but a group consensus was that Tia could have lungworms. She had many eosinophils (cells associated with parasites and allergies) in the fluid. This has been a wet year with plenty of slugs, snails, etc and she likes to snuffle and hunt around. We started her on febendazole as a preliminary treatment as it is quite safe. She is actually thrilled since this means extra canned food mixed in with her kibble.

Meanwhile it has gone too cold even for me - a -7 Fahrenheit is a bit daunting when you head out for barn chores. The dogs run a short way, then stop and hold their paws up looking pitiful. The barn animals have short days out and get warm water to drink.
Deb E

From Hokey:
Well, I am not so sure why Tia suddenly deserves extra treats! At least they didn't give her any of my special food. Maybe I should cough a bit since Deb has cut back on my meals.

I am excited because a cute girl Terv in California is loaning me one of her winter coats. Now why would a Terv in southern California even need one is beyond me, but you know how the girls are. While Kate says I am "pretty in pink" I sincerely hope it is a manly color. Camouflage would be nice.

Maybe I should get my friends Phyllis or Beth to knit me a scarf too. Deb knits but she is WAY too slow.
Ooops, heading out for chores!
Hokey
PS No offense to Tia, but I am glad someone else had to go to the vet clinic for treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment