Friday, December 11, 2009

We got our snow!! We only have about 3 or 4 inches still here but at least it looks like Christmas to us. I know those of you in warmer climates will send me photos of you on the beach, lying out in the sun on Christmas, but to me the holiday is definitely only Christmas if it is white!
Unfortunately, along with the snow we have deep biting cold and very high winds. So far our power has stayed on and I hope it stays. The wild birds are going through a packet of suet daily and lots of seeds.
Down at the barn, the ducks have settled in for the winter. They burrow in their fresh hay every night and look very domestic. The donkeys reluctantly go out for a while each day but they and the older sheep would prefer to simply stay in - though their own TV along with a nonstop hay dispenser would be nice. I suspect they all want to watch "Babe" or "The Muppet Christmas Carol".
Hokey is back to his usual energetic self. The hair loss continues however and he has very little undercoat. I may actually have to get him a warm coat for the winter!
On the writing front, I absolutely LOVE sources who get back to you quickly. Even if it is to say that they can't help you, at least you aren't left waiting and hoping.
For Lymphoma treatment, one of Hokey's other supplements is glutamine. This is also from Managing the Canine Cancer Patient. He gets one capsule once a day. Finding a definite dose is difficult and with capsules it can be hard to break things down at all. Since the adult human dose is at least one capsule three times daily with meals I figure as a 50lb dog Hokey can handle one per day. So far so good!
Deb E

From Hokey:
Whew - gotta love that snow! Fun to roll in, run through with your mouth open and eat it, jump at snow balls, leap down on unsuspecting other dogs from the top of drifts (OK, we don't really have any big drifts yet but we will!) and you can make doggy snow angels! I myself would never do it but a couple of the girl dogs even eat frozen poop - "poopsicles". Gross!!!
I do get cold faster lately so I may have to breakdown and have Deb get me a coat. A really cool one maybe that looks like armor or perhaps a superman type outfit. I figure I will look great in it no matter what.
Kate comes home soon and she is one of my favorite people so that will be a Christmas gift in itself. Plus I am working diligently on my list. Deb says one page maximum but I am going to try the "poor dog with cancer" bit. Hard to get much sympathy when I look and feel so good!
Off to barn chores - hope I don't get blown away in the wind!
Hokey

No comments:

Post a Comment