Friday, March 16, 2012

Scrap March 15!


First, let me say that *I* am a die hard morning person. I would prefer to sleep until 6 am but I can handle 5 am. Not 1 am or 3 am so much. When Kate came up with the college theme for this litter I should have nixed her right away. They truly do "come to life at night".
So at 1 am yesterday, they were partying wildly inches from my head and calling out for more drinks in the whelping box. Meanwhile Tom's Australian Shepherd, Baloo, was fussing. With good reason - he had liquid diarrhea in the laundry room. Cleaned that up, got room service back on track and back to bed. Unfortunately it all repeated at 3 am, including the diarrhea. This time, gave Baloo some metronidazole. Luckily all fine until 6 am.
The day went well - Queezle ate her meals, fed the savages, Baloo stopped the diarrhea. Then at 5 pm, Queezle barely went at her meal. Quick check - temp 104, 3rd gland on the right felt warm and a bit firm. Her glands had been normal at morning check. So off to the repro vet. I haven't done much repro over the years and with Kate on a bus heading to Minnesota with the pep band for the women's hockey tournament I did not want it all on my head!
Literally 1/4 of that one gland has mastitis. The repro clinic had never seen a case of mastitis caught so early. So now add compressing that gland and gently hand stripping it, giving Queezle antibiotics, and giving the puppies probiotic as they can still nurse to my day. Luckily Queezle ate at 10 pm and temp is normal this morning. Plus today IS a new day!!

1 comment:

  1. I am NOT a morning person. Doing this with puppies KILLS me. Thankfully I have an indulgent husband and wonderful mother to help with nursemaid duties.

    ReplyDelete