Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring is sprung!!

Beautiful spring days here - teasing us actually as 60s and sunny is NOT typical upstate NY March weather. I was hiking the dogs in pairs this morning along the railroad right of way by our house (no longer any trains but a lovely path to bike, ride or walk on). The red tail hawks are in breeding seeason so their screams kept splitting the air as the smaller male kept following the female from tree to tree. Then they would fly off, dramatic swoops across a bright blue sky.

Closer to the ground, the crocuses are doing their best to smile. I think we totally missed the snowdrops who must have bloomed under the snow. I have crocuses of light and dark purple as well as white ones though, so the colors are striking against the brown grass. The horses continue to shed everywhere though the donkeys won't shed for a month or two. And the ducks are thrileld to be outside with their pool!

This weather also leads to the numerous "dead horse" phone calls I get from the area shelters. People phone in, reporting dead horses in fields all over the county. The shelters call me asking me to take a look. I have learned to simply tell them to call the people back in an hour or so. So far, all of the horses have miraculously recovered :). They simply lie on their sides, out enjoying the sun just like people sunbathing on a beach!
Rain and cold temps coming in on Sunday so we have to enjoy this while we can.
Deb E

From Hokey:
Man, oh man! Life is good! I have gotten to put my ducks out and bring them back in every day this week except Monday!I won't talk about Monday except to say it was my last chemo and it was tough. But now I am free, free, free! Still getting all the great food and supplements though.

Deb is even talking about taking me to the Terv Natl out in Texas. This is a BIG hoopla with all the best Tervs (especially the girls!) there. And yeah, I am neutered but a guy can still look.
Plus if all the BEST tervs are going to be there, I should certainly go. Dani will go to get her CT (Champion Tracker) award and Deb is getting a 25 year award. I will have to earn anything I get out there but hopefully I can work ducks and maybe track, as well as run agility. Without Tom I am not sure I can win the Terv 2 Miler again but I could try to drag Deb very fast.
Hokey

2 comments:

  1. Your springtime in upstate NY sounds exactly like my spring day here in the South -- watching the fledgling hawks learn to hunt (parents close by and teaching); crocuses in shades of lavender, yellow, and white; and dog sports!
    Tho if my Labs came across a duck, they would retrieve it rather than herd. Still, the season change does wonders for all of our psyches, dogs and humans.
    I'm so happy that Hokey is done with the chemo, and that y'all are making plans for the Nationals. Good on you all!

    ReplyDelete