Monday, March 15, 2010

A Special Day

Before I forget, Kate's Aussie Tia, would like me to mention that today is her 7th birthday. So she feels the day is special just for that.
But for Hokey and for me, this day is special in other ways. Today was the last day of his chemotherapy regimen. It was a rough day as the drug today was adriamycin (also called doxorubicin) which has to be administered slowly over 20 to 30 minutes IV. His veins are a bit beat up from all of the chemo so we had to use a rear leg. This meant I then had to hold his leg still and extended for the whole time so the catheter wouldn't kink or get displaced. But we made it!
The fact that he got through the original schedule without going out of remission is very good news. I am extremely grateful to all my fellow vets and dog lovers who shared tips and treatment ideas. Our success is a tribute to all of you.

I will keep him on his supplements and once we are a week or so out from this treatment, I can assume his immunity is good and we are "back to normal". Of course, it won't be true normal as I will be checking him frequently for any signs of a relapse but we can get on with many of the things we love to do together. And tomorrow it is supposed to get up to 50 degrees with sun so I think we will put our ducks out - his favorite chore!
Deb E

3 comments:

  1. Hurray for Hokey and hurray for Deb!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hokey, congratulations for being such a brave dog! Deb, you rock! And Tia, well, happy birthday girl, and enjoy the sunshine on such a special day.

    ReplyDelete