Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Good things and missing the big show

On the good things note, this is a chemo week for Hokey but we were able to adjust the protocol so he got oral meds this time instead of injections. This gave Hokey's veins some more rest and healing time. Best of all for Hokey, this meant I could draw a small amount of blood for his white blood cell count at home and then go to the clinic by myself. Since this treatment was cyclophosphamide he did need some extra fluids but I did that SQ (under the skin) at home, using the coat rack for an IV pole!

On Sunday, Hokey got to attend a half day agility seminar with Tracey Sklenar as the presenter. I highly recommend her to any of you if you get the chance. She is fun, a bit irreverent and an incredibly observant instructor. She got the tiniest of mistakes we made and had us all "Running like Europeans" by the end of the morning. That means driving hard, looking at all handling options, etc. I don't think she was quite convinced that Hokey has lymphoma and is on chemo - he was running hard!

On a slightly sad note, Chuck is off this week and he loves to watch the Olympics. That means for the first time in many years, I have not watched the nightly broadcasts of Westminster or actually been at the show myself. I am SO grateful they put the videos up on the site - westminsterkennelclub.org. I heard the Belgian sheepdog, Uri, took a Group 2. This is a very nice dog - we have seen him at many shows.
Deb E

From Hokey:
Man, we should have figured all this stuff out earlier! Chuck isn't the world's best vet tech type but drawing my blood at home was a ZILLION times better than going to the clinic. Though I did miss seeing my many friends at the clinic. Now, only TWO treatments left! I do hope I continue to get most of my supplements though as I like getting extra stuff.

And, once again, I was an agility star! I had to bark at Deb a few times to try to correct her handling but she wasn't too bad. And I was by far the fastest - except maybe Jessie Jane or Lexi or .... Well, I was one of the fastest, maybe the fastest boy (which is all that really counts) and by far the most handsome and clever.

Kate had Queezle but they didn't even come close to our league. Kate tried to point out that the Q is a year younger and had to take time off for a litter last year but I am NOT swallowing it. After all, Queezle has Kate for a handler and while Deb is more clever by far I think, Kate is definitely faster. So I reign supreme! I even have my own cheer: Hokey, Hokey, he's our guy - He can jump and he can fly!
Hokey

1 comment:

  1. He can even touch the sky!

    And I would like to point out that Queezle and I were challenging ourselves and trying new things - so there :P

    ReplyDelete