Sunday, November 22, 2009

New beginnings

I realize fall tends to be the time for endings - harvest, preparing to hunker down for winter (at least here in the Northeast!), etc. But for me, this fall will hopefully be a time of beginnings as well. I have decided to drag my 20th century mind into the 21st century & diligently keep up my blog. I am working on more writing work & tackling the issues of dealing with a multi animal household. I am a veterinarian & feel that animals are my life so I am MUCH better with things that breathe than things that plug in or need batteries :).




I hope you will join me on this journey & feel free to comment & offer advice when I am stuck :). I hope this blog will share with you the wonderful lives of my many animal family members & the trials & tribulations of being a writer.




One of my biggest challenges however, is not technology. My 5 yr old Belgian Tervuren, Hokey, has lymphoma. While this is a cancer that is considered treatable (note I didn't say curable but we can hope), it is still a challenge managing his medications, his spirits & my own spirits. Hokey is a silly dog & makes me smile every day. I want to keep that smile.




As a veterinarian it is especially difficult when your own dog has a disease that you can only do so much for. Somehow it seems totally unfair that I may not be able to save my own dog. It will not be for lack of trying but I go into this knowing that the cure rate is currently about 10%. Hokey is young but has a very aggressive form of the lymphoma.

I hope to share with you what has worked for us as we fight this problem in the hopes that it may someday help other dogs with lymphoma.

Deb E , off for the morning barn chores

No comments:

Post a Comment