Monday, April 19, 2010

Officially spring - sheep are nude!!

Now it REALLY is spring - the wool sheep were shorn this am & look quite funny in their "nudity". We also have 3 "hair" sheep - Kathadins, who do not have real wool. They do not get shorn but shed blobs of hair/wool. I like the wool sheep a tad better but it is getting harder and harder to find anyone willing to shear sheep. And I admit freely, *I* don't want to!

It is supposed to get quite cold tonight so we will make sure the sheep come in. It may require work by Hokey as I suspect they won't want to come into the barn again for a while after the shearing. We worked out today that Klara, currently our oldest sheep has to be at least 14 years old.

I put the shedding blade to the horses this am as well so we had hair everywhere! The donkeys won't shed for at least another month and then, they do best with a rubber curry grooming.
Deb E, figuring she inhaled her daily dose of fiber today with all the hair in the air!

From Hokey:
Oh yeah, I bet they will need the Hokester to get those sheep into the barn. Nothing like freshly shorn sheep to be a bit spooky. Good thing Deb has a GREAT herding dog to help her. Man, I am just indispensable!
And, do I need to point out - it is Monday and NO CHEMO!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Deb, you know the saying, animal hair is a condiment!
    Linda R

    ReplyDelete