Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hunkering down in snow and cold

We have had at least some new snow daily for days now - none of the big storms that hit the East Coast made it as far inland as us, but we probably have a foot or so accumulated by now. This has made for rough times for some of our animals, especially when coupled with wind and/or cold temperatures.

The ducks are basically staying inside. I am not sure they could walk at all in snow up to their chins! They get warm water in their bucket plus plenty of food and hay to eat and nest in. The ducks seem happy.

The sheep, along with Zoom the goat aren't so thrilled with everything. While they also get warm water, they end up outside for about 8 hours every day. There is hay outside and more hay when they come in, but particularly the older sheep "ladies" - Klara and her younger sister Mrs. Tommel - would probably be happy simply staying inside. I need to start cutting up apple for all of them at night.

The donkeys, Sugar and daughter Spice have mixed feelings. They like going out but figure an hour might be plenty of time. All of the equines have been getting apple or carrots every day along with their hay plus warm water so they are happy about that. Sugar, Spice and Frodo the mini horse do not get any grain. They stay round just on hay.

The horses are all "seniors" and they get grain plus hay inside and out as well as their apples or carrots plus an arthritis supplement. They are the main group that truly wants to go outside very day.

Fire (short for Firecracker - he was born on the 4th of July) pretty much lives in his bed on top of the heated water pump area in the winter. He hops down to eat or eliminate, then back up. He is almost round enough to dribble now and truly looks like a big basketball!

Well, off to the barn - I suspect everyone wants in early today with the cold and the blowing snow!
Deb E

I LOVE to help with barn chores! I like it best in warm weather when I get to move my ducks around. Sometimes I move the sheep around for Deb too - not always when or where she wants, but they need work too. Plus I love going in the haymow - I am so cool because I can hop right up on the hay mow floor (probably about 4 feet straight up). Plus I run through the fields looking for bunnies, mice, wild strawberries, all kinds of neat things! I can hear mice and voles under the snow in the winter and sometimes I pounce to catch them. Not too successful, but I keep trying.
Hokey

No comments:

Post a Comment